The George V. & Kate Adams House - Part 1
521 South Molalla Avenue
1917 – 1930
By Gail J. McCormick
The George V. & Kate Adams House is located at 521 South Molalla Avenue in Molalla, Oregon. The architecture is the Craftsman Bungalow Style, a popular style in Molalla in the early 1900s. This house is similar, in design, to the William & Annie Everhart house. It is located across the street and their story is featured in the SOUTH MOLALLA AVENUE GROUP. Although the outside of the Adams' house has been changed, it retains some of the original characteristics of the Craftsman Bungalow Style. The addition of an upstairs apartment, with outside stairs, was added in the 1960s. Two upper dormer windows, elements usually included in the Craftsman Bungalow Style, have been removed and replaced with more modern windows. The inside of the house has many of the original design elements of the Craftsman Bungalow Style. The house is in good condition today and is privately owned.
George V. Adams
George V. Adams was born in 1861, at Knox County, Illlinois. His parents were William D. & Lucina Loveridge Adams, whose story is featured in the NORTH MOLALLA AVENUE GROUP. When he was four years old, George’s family emigrated to Oregon via the Oregon Trail and settled in the Molalla area. From that time on, George spent the rest of his life in Molalla.
In 1877, when George was sixteen years old, he was apprenticed to a carpenter under the direction of his father, William D. Adams, who was a master carpenter. In 1885, George purchased 180 acres of his father's farm on Adams Road and changed his occupation to farming. In 1886, he married Kate Robbins. Kate was born in 1867, at Marquam, and was the daughter of Oliver and Mary Thompson Robbins. Also, in 1886, George added 140 adjoining acres to his farm, which he purchased from N. G. Stewart. By 1915, George had 220 acres under cultivation on his 320 acre farm. In a newspaper article in the Enterprise Courier, Anniversary Edition of 1915, he is described as "a prosperous and progressive type rancher, who purchased thorough-bred stock. He was raising hogs and had 50 head ready for market. He had purchased registered Berkshire sows and was building up a herd." George also had purchased one of the "finest teams of draft horses in the Molalla district." They were Percheron and Morgan cross breeds and weighed approximately 1,800 pounds each. On the farm, George and Kate also had an outstanding residence which, today, is a Clackamas County Landmark. It was built in the Queen Anne Style and included a windmill enclosed by an atttractive wooden tower structure. George and Kate had three daughters: Bertha, Edna and Ofa.
By 1917, George had retired from farming and sold his farm to the Lay brothers. He and Kate moved into Molalla to the house on South Molalla Avenue. George was very active in civic life. He had served as Director of the First National Bank in Molalla and was a member and past steward of the Molalla Grange #310. George passed away in 1930, at Molalla. Kate passed away in 1959, at Silverton.
Adams Family History Paper, By Marlene F. Ricci, No date
Betty Guild, Unrecorded interview with the author, April, 2019
"George Adams Starting Herd of Registered Berkshires", Enterprise Courier, Anniversary Edition, 1915
"George & Kate Adams", The Robbins & Herren Families of the Pacific Northwest, Page 135, No date
George V. Adams, Clackamas County Deed Records: Book H, Page 190-194; Book 42, Page 442; Book 122, Page 605 and Book 148, Page 13 and 14
"George V. Adams", Obituary, Molalla Pioneer, March 6, 1930
"George V. Adams", Obituary, Oregonian, March 5, 1930
"George V. Adams", Portrait & Biographical Record of Portland, 1903, Page 330
"George V. Adams", U. S. Census: 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, Molalla, Oregon
© Gail J. McCormick, 2019